TOP TEN TUESDAY #6
As you guys can see from the title this is going to be a rule-breaker post.
I was going to apologize/delete this previously prepared post, but then I thought…Nah!
Instead I thought I’d explain how we arrived at today’s post. As many of you know (because you’re awesome and have sent DMs via this blog/my Goodreads page), I’ve had a crazy month. Don’t believe me?
Ask the dishes! Let’s turn to the bullet points!
In the month of August, I have:
- Participated in a full day of wedding rehearsal/wedding prep activities
- Gave a teary speech at said wedding rehearsal dinner
- Proudly stood as a bridesmaid in a friend’s gorgeous wedding
- Spent several evenings in the hospital because my pregnant best friend was admitted for monitoring
- Threw an impromptu baby shower — with less than 48 hours notice — so my BFF’s mom (who was only in town for a few days) could attend
- Went to the dentist — twice
- Reminded my bestie what a warrior she was when she was dealing with the aftermath of delivering her beautiful baby girl at only 29 weeks and 1 day
- Attended 3 birthday dinners
- Witnessed my sister-in law get engaged
- Celebrated another friend’s engagement
- Saw a Total Solar Eclipse/technically a partial solar eclipse here in Texas…
- Watched 4 films at the movie theater
- Donated to the Red Cross to aid my great state from these horrible floods. Click here if you’d also like to donate!
- AND…survived the Game of Thrones finale
In addition to daily obligations (working, taking care of puppers, reading, listening to the new T-Swift on repeat, etc.), you can see why my mind has clearly been elsewhere.
Now this list is not meant to sound all “woe is me,” but rather to provide insight on how this hodgepodge of a post came to be. With all the stuff that’s been going on I somehow didn’t realize that:
1) The Broke and the Bookish is apparently BACK from hiatus — and has been for 3 WEEKS!!! I missed that memo and prepared another callback category instead of today’s actual topic. *Facepalm*
2) I somehow confused previous #TTT categories with today’s current Top 5 Tuesday post (Fave Sidekicks). *Facepalm…again*
To recover — hopefully — I’m going to present my list of side characters by blending the dual #TTT categories of Dynamic Duos/Minor Characters.
So without further ado, I present to you my “Top Ten Dynamic Duos (DD)/Minor Characters (MC).”
1) & 2) DD: Poppet & Widget from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
As my most recent read this enchanting story is still fresh in my mind. But even if it wasn’t I think I’d list these magical twins first every time. They snuck up on me, and soon became my favorite characters in the book. Sidenote: I could go on about Widget (the opening line, his tent, his gift, etc.) for days so message me if you want to hash it out!
3) MC: Reagan from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Reagan is an ideal roommate and character clash for our dear MC, Cath. Reagan is confident, charismatic, compassionate, and is able to dish out tough love like nobody’s business. And although she’s not the inventor of the Emergency Kanye Dance Party, I think it’s safe to say that we could all use some Reagan in our lives.
4) MC: Nikolai from The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
Earlier this year I was introduced to the Grishaverse and my newest book
boyfriend pirate privateer, Nikolai. And sure, I’m total trash for him, but in all honesty, he stole the dang show. His cheeky remarks and witty banter with Alina kept the pages turning and skyrocketed him to one of my all-time fave minor characters.
5) MC: Kiersten from Point of Retreat/ the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover
Any CoHo fan out there knows that reading her books will lead to tears — lots of them. And her debut series definitely established that precedent. Kiersten, a precocious 11-year-old who shows up in book two, is that sassy breath of fresh air that steals scenes and hearts with her unique spin on cursing! #ButterflyYou
6) MC: Chip “The Colonel” Martin from Looking for Alaska by John Green
Similar to Reagan from #3, “The Colonel” serves as the fearless leader of his crew, and role model/roommate to our MC, Miles/Pudge. While a lot of characters brought the drama, the Colonel kept it real while giving off serious T.J. Detweiler vibes.
7) MC: Gus from Bright Side by Kim Holden
I’ve talked about this book previously and still believe it is one of the most underrated/under-reviewed contemps out there! Hopefully if I keep shamelessly promoting it you’ll read it…seriously click the link it’s free with Kindle Unlimited! See, shameless! Anyways, Gus is the lead singer of a widely popular rock band, and best friend to Bright Side herself. He’s talented, caring, and understands how to balance Bright Side’s emotions. Their bond is palpable and makes you crave that kind of relationship in your own life. Gus even earned himself his own self-titled spin-off.
8) MC: Ron Weasley from Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Immediately, I feel like people are going to be like: “Hello? Dynamic Duo would be Ron AND Hermione!!!” And honestly I’m with you, they’re a great duo. However, in my opinion, Hermione is no one’s sidekick. She is in no way a minor character. She has her own story lines, goals, and accomplishments and doesn’t balance Harry out like Ron does. Ron is that true-blue friend that always knows the right thing to say…if you forget about the whole leaving during DH bit…
Photo Credit to: Pages Unbound
And finally, my fave supporting cast the Court of Dreamers. And yeah, yeah, there’s more than 2 of them, but I don’t care. They were the fae family I never knew I wanted and I’m happy I found them. Since I feel like I need solid names for 9 & 10 I’ll say my favorites are Cassian and Amren.
There you have it! My fave duo’s and minor characters. Did we share any favorites? Any that should have made my list, but didnt! I look forward to your thoughts! And as always: Happy Reading!